Skip to main content

Tucker's Birth Story

Tucker Jason Rhys was born on October 30th, 2023 at 3:18pm in the afternoon though I say his birth story started four months earlier in June. 

In June we were packing up our family and lives in Africa to come back to America for a year. With two small kids and me being six month pregnant, Steven and I still thought it would be worth the effort to stop in Paris for a layover and do a couple Frenchy things like eat a croissant and see the Eiffel Tower.  It’s a “perk” of the job I tell myself—every flight path inevitably goes through Europe. We booked tickets that took us through Paris and then onto America.

After booking everything we hit a snag—Farrah’s passport was set to expire in September and apparently France requires three months of validity left on a US passport before giving a visa to visit their country. She only had two months left before she needed to renew hers.

(I'm getting to the birth, I promise…) Up until that last week on our island as we were packing our bags and house, we decided to take a risk knowing that not every customs agent takes those dates into consideration—and surely not a child’s passport!  However, three days before we left for our flight, Air France emailed us asking for passport information and it was made clear by the computer system that Farrah would be flagged and not let into the country, even for a few days.

We quickly took this as a sign that God had other ideas for us and we changed flight paths. It was like a sudden grace had come upon us and we knew the Lord had reasons for removing our own plans and we needed to trust this way would be better. It also removed any stress I was feeling about getting through the airport (since Covid days, I was a bit paranoid we wouldn't get on flights that we had booked.) Finally, as confirmation from the Lord, while we were traveling through all the planes and airports we discovered Paris was enduring some riots. We knew God had clearly protected our path and gave us the blessing of extra days in Dallas with my sister and family which ended up being exactly what we needed. 

Phineas in the Paris airport

We had endured a long season of beautiful work on our island and were in need of some rest physically, mentally, and spiritually. That was one of our biggest goals in returning to America. With Phineas’ birth story in the back of my mind, I had a small fear that I was set out to endure more struggle and a difficult recovery from a c-section.
 
Enjoying Dallas
 
My doctor was so encouraging and optimistic for a VBAC considering I had already had a natural birth with Farrah. Randomly during one ultrasound the technician measured the thickness of my c-section scar and they determined it wasn’t the optimal thickness for me to be a VBAC. After some prayer I was struggling with the idea of having a vaginal birth knowing there were seemingly “more risks” that we knew about. It was shaking me and my wishes for a natural birth. So through prayer I decided to ask God for what I wanted even if it didn’t make sense. I asked that I would go into labor naturally and I asked that I would have a vaginal birth. At this point I didn’t care if it was medicated or unmedicated. In those two weeks leading up to Tucker’s birth, I gave birth to him spiritually before he came physically and I have experienced that on all my other birth journeys. There was a sense of releasing all my ideas and plans for my life and the life of my child and giving them to God.
 
I'd also like to add that during this whole process, God gifted me with the kindest of things--a live-in doula.  My sis-in-law, Tiana, was a recently certified doula and we were living with them for the year while in America. She was there to help talk me through all my decisions, pray with me, and encourage me whenever I needed.  She also sees birth as a deeply personal and spiritual journey for a woman.  She is an amazing encourager and has the rarest of gifts, the gift of presence.  Her presence in this whole process was kind and helped me see all the ways God was faithful in this process after Tucker was born.  She even had her own testimony coming out of this experience.
 
Auntie/Doula Tiana with Tucker a couple hours after he was born

The new plan was to get an epidural because I was feeling so much unease with the idea of an emergency C-section and going under if anything should happen. I felt my doc basically give me “permission” to take the path that kept my heart and mind at peace. At one point I got down on my knees and started praying about it and I was immediately reminded of France and the warning we took to take a detour which brought peace of mind and grace for our journey home. This brings me to my main point and lesson learned from Tucker’s birth:  It doesn’t have to be hard for it to be fruitful. 


Sometimes we think we know what we need only to see God isn’t asking us to do the hard thing in the hardest possible way.  If we look, God is actually paving our path with many graces to help keep us on the journey.  When He is bringing us through hard stuff we usually can't change the circumstances and that’s when we say “Not my will but yours, O Lord.” As far as the other things go, sometimes I think we are too hard on ourselves and the religious spirit twists the truth that we must die so Christ may live into self-hate or “earning points"--but maybe that’s just me!  There's a time a season for everything.  This was God delivering me from "it always has to be like this" mentality and learning to flow with the Spirit.

As for the actual birth, I woke up early in the morning with contractions on Sunday October 29th. Steven got ready to go to speak at a church gathering about an hour away. Before he walked out the door I looked at him and said, “Don’t worry if you miss this one. I’m serious. I’ll be fine.” 
 

Contractions were about five minutes apart when my water broke in the shower. I mean it was like a “pop!” and gush. It was a memorable experience and maybe one of the only things in birth that lives up to its hype. Steven was just getting home at that time (about 3:15pm.)  I remember shouting from the bathroom to him, “My water broke, call my parents!”

I went into the hospital that evening and they checked me and measure me at five centimeters already! I was so grateful to be that far along. I walked the halls until about 11:30pm. Once I got the epidural I actually started sleeping and so did Steven. Laying there turning from side to side was a lot smoother than laboring all through the night like I did with Farrah. I cannot emphasize enough how much getting some real sleep blessed us which made for an smooth and joyful postpartum period after he was born—a stark difference to when Farrah was born and we had been awake for 24+ hours already.

After sleeping all night, in the morning we were all surprised a baby didn’t suddenly pop out of me. I was a bit discouraged though when they went to check me and I didn’t have much progress. However, my doctor, Katie, came in that morning and greeted me and said “You were in my dream last night!” She went on to explain that in her dream she was sternly teaching some of the med students what three centimeters versus seven centimeters feels like and and then “out popped a baby!”

Her dream was a huge comfort to me because I knew my doctor was a believer and I had asked God to give her a dream if anything was going wrong or off during our labor. I had another co-laborer on our island have a difficult birth where her own doctor had a dream of spiritual warfare and a demonic presence in the delivery room with them. Because of that testimony and their baby being born safely from the warning their doctor received, I was discerning maybe there was demonic attack on our children and the work being done where we live. I see physical children labored for and delivered as a parallel to the work of birthing spiritual children. I had asked God for that grace to have my doctor see what the issue is, if there was going to be one.

We both agreed that the dream was from the Lord and that I had been measured wrong at some point along the journey. I think it may have been when I was encouraged to get the epidural because they thought I was closer to seven centimeters. The comfort I immediately took from my doctor's dream was that my baby was coming soon since he suddenly “popped out."

My doctor also called in some new nurses and told me “these are the ladies who helped me with my own birth.” I took that to mean they were experienced. They also brought the humor as I tried a few different sure-fire positions to encourage Tucker to make his way. It felt like in no time we were pushing and after only about four pushes, Tucker was here. You'd think one would stop crying with joy at seeing your new baby after having two kids already, but it really is the best moment a person can experience and I cried at Tucker's arrival just like I did when Farrah and Finn were born.

Some days I’m wondering if what we are doing will produce any lasting results. This is especially true in a season of having young kids since it has been the most trying of seasons on our bandwidth and energy. We can’t do a whole lot extra. Most of the time when I hear that voice telling me I should be “doing more” and to push myself, God’s kind word whispers to me again, “it doesn’t always have to be hard to be fruitful.” Sometimes fruit comes from labor paved with tons of grace along the way and we wouldn’t trade this season surrounded by our little blondies and mess and fatigue for anything in the world.

 


Kids meeting Tucker was so precious.  Phineas wearing his Spiderman shirt!
 
The story behind Tuck's name

We got to go home just in time for the kids to go trick or treating in America for the first time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Case You Were Curious

The feat of writing a post and explanation for what happened this past weekend has kept me from even attempting it for some days now.  How do you describe miracles but not as to cheapen the treasure of their testimony? First I must begin to explain who this man Steven is, and who he someday will be.  Skeptical, I have been for some years now which is why I categorize his existence as a miracle. He is strong.  Meek.  Authoritative in speech, and yet the most gentle of men.  He hates all the usual things like Wal-Mart and loves all the usual authors like G.K. Chesterton.  His brokenness before the Lord was what set him apart from the crowd for me.  I honor this man with words of encouragement. "Steven, you are dearly loved and anointed by Jesus.  Not because you have done great things for Him, but because your heart longs to make Him the focus.  You know He is good even in the desert seasons.  You have chosen Jesus.  You have a closeness with Him that inspires me to seek Him a

Let's Run!

I am tired of making the Christian life look good.  I might as well wear the t-shirt that says "Christians have more fun".  When Jesus said we could have life to the full (John 10:10), I am told He was not wearing the t-shirt.  If anything His shirt would say "fullness of life found here".  It's futile of me to think we Christians need to persuade the world that we love our lives.  In fact Paul said, "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."--1 Corinthians 15:11  If indeed Jesus has been raised, then my living is not empty.  I fix my eyes on the prize.  That prize is not less drinking, fewer swear words, and a "good job" from morality at the end of the day...it is El Shaddai, God all sufficient. "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to