Skip to main content

Face Time



Confessions of a hopeless romantic:  I own a lot, I mean a LOT of dating books.  A girl inherits these heirlooms from friends and sisters that get married.  They were all given to me, and reading at least two of them is like a rite of passage for the singleton. 

I stand and laugh at the spines sitting pretty on the shelves.  I scoff.  I stagger and then declare, “You are no formula for happiness!”  Rather, I have learned more about pouring out my heart to God and in return hearing what He has to say.  This requires lots of hours on your face.  This means humbling yourself to the point of saying, "Father, teach me to delight in You alone  I don't want my fleshly comfort, I want Jesus."  Usually there are tears involved.  That’s where this relationship begins.  No amount of formulated books will bring comfort, but the Spirit of God Himself brings rest for my pining soul.   

“Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.”—Psalm 62:8

Then, there I was in all my skeptical glory weeding through my bookshelves and I came to the notorious Lady in Waiting.  Dun-dun-DUNN!  I’ve been thinking about handing it down to further generations of girls (and no, I’m not engaged).  All skepticism fled the scene once I picked up ol’ book and read the quote written on page 250 (of the study guide edition, naturally).

“By rejoicing in Him, however, I do not mean rejoicing in ourselves, although I fear most people think this is really what is meant.  It is their feelings or their revelations or their experiences that constitute the groundwork of their joy, and if none of these are satisfactory, they see no possibility of joy at all.”
“But the lesson the Lord is trying to teach us all the time is the lesson of self-effacement.  He commands us to look away from self and all self’s experiences, to crucify self and count it dead, to cease to be interested in self, and to know nothing and be interested in nothing but God.”
“The reason for this is that God has destined us for a higher life than the self-life.  That just as He has destined the caterpillar to become the butterfly, and therefore has appointed the caterpillar life to die, in order that the butterfly life may take its place, so He has appointed our self-life to die in order that the divine life may become ours instead.  The caterpillar effaces itself in its grub form, that it may evolve or develop into its butterfly form.  It dies that it may live.  And just so must we.”—Hannah Smith, The Chrstian’s Secret of a Happy Life

I put the book back and said, “You’ve earned your keep."     

“And he said to all, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.  For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?’”—Luke 9:23-25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Case You Were Curious

The feat of writing a post and explanation for what happened this past weekend has kept me from even attempting it for some days now.  How do you describe miracles but not as to cheapen the treasure of their testimony? First I must begin to explain who this man Steven is, and who he someday will be.  Skeptical, I have been for some years now which is why I categorize his existence as a miracle. He is strong.  Meek.  Authoritative in speech, and yet the most gentle of men.  He hates all the usual things like Wal-Mart and loves all the usual authors like G.K. Chesterton.  His brokenness before the Lord was what set him apart from the crowd for me.  I honor this man with words of encouragement. "Steven, you are dearly loved and anointed by Jesus.  Not because you have done great things for Him, but because your heart longs to make Him the focus.  You know He is good even in the desert seasons.  You have chosen Jesus.  You have a closeness with Him that inspires me to seek Him a

Let's Run!

I am tired of making the Christian life look good.  I might as well wear the t-shirt that says "Christians have more fun".  When Jesus said we could have life to the full (John 10:10), I am told He was not wearing the t-shirt.  If anything His shirt would say "fullness of life found here".  It's futile of me to think we Christians need to persuade the world that we love our lives.  In fact Paul said, "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."--1 Corinthians 15:11  If indeed Jesus has been raised, then my living is not empty.  I fix my eyes on the prize.  That prize is not less drinking, fewer swear words, and a "good job" from morality at the end of the day...it is El Shaddai, God all sufficient. "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to

Songs of Solomon 1:2 and some "HWIT"

I have three weeks off until my classes start.  Before I do a little bit of traveling these next few weekends (once to Germany--er--Deutschland ja!, and the other to the South of France) I've taken the liberty of planning my wedding.   I found Pinterest to be very helpful for ideas and I think   ranunculus with baby's breath might be the way to go  instead of peonies because  I'm told they keep longer and are less expensive--ALICIA YOU DON'T HAVE A  BOYFRIEND!   Oh, THAT.  Yes, in due time Mr. Conscience.  In my reasoning, I will never have another three weeks "off" in my entire life so I should make use of it.   On another related aspect, in my Housewife In Training sessions (also known as HWIT), I've been trying my hand at this cooking thing.  Here in my French living quarters I've discovered the cheap and great joy that is couscous.  This is thanks to my roommates that are a little more learned at this thing than I ( a TRL shout out to Jacie a