Skip to main content

Psalm 116

"What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me?  I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord.  I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people."--Psalm 116:12-14

How do I start a blog post that can portray my zeal for the Lord?!  Y'all, I'm done with clean living and only going "so far" before people think I'm nuts.  I think that verdict has long been since decided.  In the verse the psalmist is writing about the goodness of the Lord.  In these last minute trials before I leave for France I have to thank God publicly for His goodness to me!  Hence, why I blog.  It's the only thing I can do in return for Him.

After the uncertainty with my student loan business, I was asking the Father what His purpose was in this whole ordeal.  I kept getting this picture of Jesus and I being "neighbors" of sorts.  We wave "hi" and "good morning" as we mow our lawns but things are kept at a comfortable distance.  The barrier between my territory and His is a tiny white-picket fence about waist high.  This fence I see is a barrier but it hold bits of pride, unbelief, and fear.  Jesus is standing on the other side waving, "you can hop over here if you'd like."  Over time I find I cannot keep a distance between us.

One fear I had that keeps me on my territory and Jesus on His is my fear that I cannot be completely myself and in a deeper, expressive relationship with Him.  I don't feel the calling to go yell on the street corners (I don't think the motive would be done with gentleness and respect) but immediately I start imagining a quiet, pristine Alicia that sits and makes cooing noises in the corner.  No, just like if I wore an ankle bracelet, (the picture I got from the Lord) that's NOT who I am.  I don't necessarily like ankle bracelets or things that remind me of my middle-school era.  The Alicia I think the Father approves of can carry her voice across a mountain and dance in joy around others while making situations slightly more awkward than the normal person.  Finally just learning how to be more of who He has made me to be is all, and another reason I'm going to "find myself in Paris".

If you're like me, you probably skimmed this blogged for the good stuff in 2.2 seconds.  Hopefully the goodness of God is the "good stuff" you've found.


Saying goodbye to cornfields


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Case You Were Curious

The feat of writing a post and explanation for what happened this past weekend has kept me from even attempting it for some days now.  How do you describe miracles but not as to cheapen the treasure of their testimony? First I must begin to explain who this man Steven is, and who he someday will be.  Skeptical, I have been for some years now which is why I categorize his existence as a miracle. He is strong.  Meek.  Authoritative in speech, and yet the most gentle of men.  He hates all the usual things like Wal-Mart and loves all the usual authors like G.K. Chesterton.  His brokenness before the Lord was what set him apart from the crowd for me.  I honor this man with words of encouragement. "Steven, you are dearly loved and anointed by Jesus.  Not because you have done great things for Him, but because your heart longs to make Him the focus.  You know He is good even in the desert seasons.  You have chosen Jesus.  You have a closeness with Him that inspires me to seek Him a

Let's Run!

I am tired of making the Christian life look good.  I might as well wear the t-shirt that says "Christians have more fun".  When Jesus said we could have life to the full (John 10:10), I am told He was not wearing the t-shirt.  If anything His shirt would say "fullness of life found here".  It's futile of me to think we Christians need to persuade the world that we love our lives.  In fact Paul said, "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."--1 Corinthians 15:11  If indeed Jesus has been raised, then my living is not empty.  I fix my eyes on the prize.  That prize is not less drinking, fewer swear words, and a "good job" from morality at the end of the day...it is El Shaddai, God all sufficient. "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to

Songs of Solomon 1:2 and some "HWIT"

I have three weeks off until my classes start.  Before I do a little bit of traveling these next few weekends (once to Germany--er--Deutschland ja!, and the other to the South of France) I've taken the liberty of planning my wedding.   I found Pinterest to be very helpful for ideas and I think   ranunculus with baby's breath might be the way to go  instead of peonies because  I'm told they keep longer and are less expensive--ALICIA YOU DON'T HAVE A  BOYFRIEND!   Oh, THAT.  Yes, in due time Mr. Conscience.  In my reasoning, I will never have another three weeks "off" in my entire life so I should make use of it.   On another related aspect, in my Housewife In Training sessions (also known as HWIT), I've been trying my hand at this cooking thing.  Here in my French living quarters I've discovered the cheap and great joy that is couscous.  This is thanks to my roommates that are a little more learned at this thing than I ( a TRL shout out to Jacie a